Friday, May 15, 2015

Scratch!

Never heard of Scratch? It's a friendly way to introduce yourself to coding. CODING is kind of this scary term that I used to associate with people who sit at computes in dark rooms, plotting how to take over something. This is quite inaccurate, as you probably already know. Coding is something that kids can do at school, which is why we learned about Scratch at a seminar about science and technology.

I love science and technology, but loving them doesn't make them easier for me. They're the subjects I struggle with the most, because I have had years of building up mental road blocks for myself. I got a lot better this year, thanks to NancyLee (our program director and Science instructor), but I did not know what to expect out of this science and technology seminar.

What I got was a whole lot of fun and satisfaction!

scratch.mit.edu



Basically, here is a game that I made in which the unicorn has to spell my name. Every time it touches a letter, the unicorn grows, makes a chomping sound, and the letters disappear. Oh, and you get a point. It took me a long time to make it, but it was so fun to share with my classmates!

If you're at all interested in coding or bringing coding to your classroom, I highly recommend Scratch or Scratch Jr. if your students aren't reading yet. 

Happy Coding!

- Rachel

p.s. one more day til graduation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.