Monday, May 4, 2015

5 - 4 - 15

Happy May! Specifically, happy May 4th, the day the internet explodes with this perfect Star Wars joke: 


By the way, I'm so excited for the new Stars Wars movie, even though I'm skeptical about how it will turn out. But that's neither here nor there.
______________________________________________________



This is my last week of student teaching. It's sad, but true. Next week at this time, I will not be sitting in an empty classroom while my 2nd graders are out having fun at recess. While it's hard to say goodbye to children who you come to know and love, it comes with the territory of student teaching. I've done this before, so I know the motions to go through. 

You start by dropping subtle hints to kids about which field trips you will or will not be around for, which units you'll be there to see, etc. "No, I won't be able to go to _______ with you, because I'm only here until May 8th!" The more calmly you say this, the better the kids take the news. They get attached as much as you do. Then, a few weeks before the actual last day, you make sure to say that your final week is coming up. On Friday, during our weekly ritual of Roses and Thorns, I told everyone that I had a rosy thorn: I was sad to leave next Friday, but happy because I've had such a good experience at this school. This was my most formal announcement, as it was said to the whole class, but it shouldn't have been anyone's first time hearing that information. 

This week, I'm focusing on writing notes to my kids, and finding nice, simple gifts for my Classroom Mentor and the Assistant Teacher I work with. Stay tuned on that, it's only Monday.

______________________________________________________

Speaking of Mondays - *cough* the worst day of the week *cough* - here are three things that are helping me wind down after a busy year. 

1. READING!

That's right, I'm reading for pleasure for what feels like the first time in a long time! The other day while I was baby sitting, I picked up a book in my sister's house and got hooked. The book is called The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan. All I will say is that I started it on Saturday afternoon, and it's been hard to put it down for things like eating and sleeping. 


2. ANIMALS!

Yeah, here's your typical Buzzfeed article with pictures of cute animals. Sometimes you just need them. 


3. DAY DREAMING!

One of my college classmates, Laura, keeps an incredible travel blog called Roam and Golightly. It's a beautiful website full of stunning photos and great writing about art, travel, and local adventure. Laura makes everything look beautiful, exciting, and as if I've never seen it before. Check it out! 


That's about it for now. Tune in tomorrow! I am trying to write a post each day this week, in honor of my last week of student teaching.

Best,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.