Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Fishing

My Grandpa was a great fisher. When I was a little kid - I'm not sure how old -  he took me fishing, along with my cousin and uncle. I'm sure my Grandpa did his best to explain fishing to me, but I still had no idea what I was doing. I picked up the pole and did that dramatic swing back that I saw people do in movies when they fished. As I swung the pole forward into the water, it caught on something: my uncle's pants.

As I'm knee-deep in the job search, I think about my attempt at fishing and can't help but feel like a little kid again. The job search feels a lot like fishing. My resume and experience is the bait, and email and phone calls are my pole. Whenever I get a bite, or even a nibble, I reel it in like crazy, following up, walking the fine line between persistent and annoying. It's not easy to fish, either literally or metaphorically.

But I'm assuming when you finally catch something, it feels pretty great. I think I am in the early stages of catching something. I reached out to a principal this week at a school that I heard good things about, and I was invited to an Open House for interested teacher candidates. It was set up like a rotating interview session, and I was invited in to teach a demonstration lesson next week. It's actually going to be on birthday! It is sort of hard to write this on my blog, because if it doesn't go well, there will be a lot of disappointment and embarrassment, but I'm supposed to be documenting my experiences as a TEP student, and this is what all of my experiences have been leading toward!

Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.