Tuesday, May 5, 2015

5 - 5 - 15


Does anyone remember this show? As an adult looking back at this show I'm thinking, "What's with the stereotyped characters?"also, "Spinelli looks like a modern day hipster." But when I was a kid watching it, I'm pretty sure I was thinking, "I wanna be at this school," because recess is the best. Recess is why some kids come to school. Recess is what breaks up the sometimes monotonous day, both for kids, and for teachers.  

Recess is an important time to kids, and if they're lucky, the adults around them will validate that importance by giving them ample freedom and space to spend recess how they want to. Sure, there are always going to be rules, but they should only be enforced to protect children's safety. For example, it would be ridiculous to have a "No running" rule at recess. But it's understanding to have a "No carrying other children on your back rule." 

Most public school teachers I know do not do their own recess duties; instead, their school has NTAs, or Noon Time Aids, who supervise recess. At the private school I'm student teaching at this semester, teachers supervise their kids' recess. It's really an invaluable experience. Sure, it's missed time to prepare or plan, but I have learned a lot about my students by spending time with them at recess. That's where I learn the things that don't always come up in the classroom, but can sometimes be the most important things. So, here are 5 thoughts I've had while on recess duty.

1
I CAN'T WAIT TO GO INSIDE.
Remember this past winter? Yeah, while you were all warm and cozy somewhere, probably sitting by a fire, I was outside on recess duty because our kids go out in any weather. There were lots of snow pants involved for the kids, but I don't have adult sized snow pants, and my onesie pajamas are inappropriate for school. There have also been days when I just. wasn't. feeling. it. and I couldn't wait to get inside. Those days were few and far between, thankfully, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a thought I've had during recess.

2
I LOVE THESE KIDS!
Some kids are so stinking adorable. Whether they're learning how to do a cartwheel for the first time, and they excitedly call you over to watch them flop on their face, or they're playing an imaginary game that sounds a lot like the plot of a Star Wars movie…recess is when I got to see a whole other side of my kids, and most of the time, all it did was make me love them more than I already did. 

3
CAN I EAT RIGHT NOW?
This is mostly a thought I've had during morning recess, which strikes at 10:00, which I used to call "10:00 Snack Time" when I worked with City Year. 10:00 is like my second breakfast/elevensies in the Hobbit world. I get sooooooo hungry, and it's hard to monitor students for thirty minutes with an angry, empty belly. One time I snuck a granola bar out to recess, but I felt bad because I think it's a rule that you can't have food on our recess field. Whoops. I swear I only did it that one time...

4
IF I HAVE TO MEDIATE ONE MORE ARGUMENT I'M GOING TO LOSE IT
Thankfully, the school I'm at right now uses Responsive Classroom, which is all about maintaining a strong social-emotional curriculum in your classroom, right along with your academic curriculum. Mediating conflicts is something that can happen a lot at recess. It's a wonderful thing to do, because it's much better than the alternative, which is an adult yelling and doling out a meaningless consequence but ignoring what may have caused the conflict in the first place. 

5
ARE KIDS BETTER THAN ADULTS?
I'm amazed at the creativity that comes out of my kids during recess. The games they invent, the way they play together, how they problem solve, how thoughtful they are…it makes me start to wonder if childhood is where we're at our best, and then we only get more boring as adults. There is never a dull moment when it comes to kids, especially kids at recess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.