Friday, February 13, 2015

Little Kids vs. Big Kids

Thursday at my school is ice cream day. After the kids have eaten their main meal, every kid gets an ice cream cone/cup or a popsicle of some sort. Last Thursday, the dessert was a vanilla ice cream cone, but the ice cream had blue food coloring in it. One minute, each kid was unwrapping their dessert, and the next I was looking out at a sea of blue chins, blue mustaches, and even blue hair. It was so adorable!

Yesterday, my class celebrated Valentines Day by having Pajama Day. Three kids in the grade came to school in onesies, while the rest wore more typical, matching-set pajamas. Again, it was so adorable! When our kids arrived yesterday morning, my Classroom Mentor said, "I could never say 'no' to my kids when they were like this," meaning, "These kids are gonna walk all over us today because they look so stinking cute." They didn't, of course, but it was a really fun and hectic day.

I think 2nd graders are mysterious. I have seen evidence of very deep thinking from some of my students. Some are definitely more articulate than others, but even the ones who struggle to capture their ideas with words, are showing evidence of deep thought. Sometimes they act like "big kids" who are too cool for school, mostly when older students are around, but then they get their hands on some blue ice cream or they come to school in pajamas and they are instantly back to being "little kids." So how do you define a "big kid" or a "little kid?" I ask because I'm trying to place 2nd graders on the spectrum that is elementary school. In some ways, I think that 2nd graders are the fine line between the "little kids" and the "big kids." They're the little-big kids.

When I think back on being in 2nd grade, two experiences come to mind. The first is that I accidentally called my teacher "Mommy." Only one other person heard me, but he was a good sport about it, and instead of blabbing to everyone about it, he and I simply had a good laugh. The second thing I remember is that we had a class wide spelling bee. I was standing next to a new girl who is now one of my best friends, and she had to spell the word "different." She spelled it correctly and promptly leaned back against the board and started fanning herself as if she were going to pass out. Hilarious.

Do you have any funny 2nd grade stories? How do you define "little kids" and "big kids?"
And most importantly: do you own a onesie?  






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.