Saturday, April 4, 2015

Teacher Must-Haves


Want to be a teacher? There are some things you're going to need. Here are, in my opinion, some teacher must-haves.
  • Good shoes - Hey, have you heard? Teachers stand/walk/jog/run around a lot. It all starts with what's on your feet. I recently got a pair of Dansko clogs. They are pricey, but they feel so good when you're on your feet all day! Unfortunately I don't know enough about men's shoes to make a recommendation there. I will say that my dad has been a teacher for 30+ years and he has been wearing the same loafers my whole life. So maybe we should all invest in a pair of loafers!
  • Water bottle - I don't want to say all teachers talk a lot, because I think the students' voices should be heard more than the teacher's voice - BUT, it is hard on the voice to get 20+ kids' attention all at once. There's also yelling that occurs on the recess yard (but not in the classroom!!!). Even if we didn't talk a lot as teachers, staying hydrated is just an important thing to do for your own health. For the environment's sake, go green and invest in a nice water bottle. I'm pretty anti-plastic bottles. Ever read "Bottlemania"?
  • Whistle - Two words: recess duty.
  • Morning/Evening soundtrack - Whether you prefer the dulcet tones of NPR in the morning, or if you just like the awkward silence of the Market-Frankford Line, make sure you have some type of morning soundtrack to listen to. I grew up with NPR and classical music in the car (which I love), but it doesn't exactly pump me up for a demanding day of teaching. I prefer fast-paced songs in the morning, and quieter, more reflective songs at the close of the day. Unless I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and then I reverse it. 
  • Tissues - Kids and runny noses go together, and teachers should always be prepared! 
  • Lots of phone memory - You never know when you're going to want to photograph or record a great lesson or pieces of student work. It's important to document what the students are doing, both for your benefit and your kids' benefit. Pictures of your kids writing or completing projects make more authentic room decorations than store-bought posters. Keep your phone memory free to accommodate any pictures or videos. 
  • Hand sanitizer - Obviously it's no replacement for the good old fashioned soap and water routine, but it can't hurt to have some hand sanitizer in your classroom, on your keys, etc. 
  • Happy Place - Sometimes you're going to want to leave school before the day is over, or you'll want to leave your classroom while your kids are still in it. Don't do it! It's not safe for the kids, and you might get fired. Instead, have a Happy Place you can go to. This Happy Place could be a mental recess (e.g. "Remember that one time I got a massage? It was the best feeling ever.") or it could be a corner of your classroom or a step or two outside your classroom that is designed for this purpose. My Happy Place is the water fountain. I'm a pretty well-hydrated person (see previous point about water bottles), so I visit the water fountain at least once a day. It's a nice chance to clear my head and just not say or do anything but fill up my water bottle. 
…and last, but certainly, not least:
  • Snacks - Most elementary school kids eat snack at the midpoint between when school stars and when lunch is served. My first few days of school, it was hard to watch my kids dig into carrots or Animal Crackers and not think, "Oh my goodness, I am starving." Having a granola bar or quick snack food is very important. Keep your blood sugar at a healthy level and bring a snack to school! 
That's all for now. When I remember ten more things that I think are "Must-Haves" I'll write another post like this! 

- Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hello! I am a current student in Penn GSE's Teacher Education Program (Elementary Strand). I'm writing this blog as part of a Graduate Assistantship with Penn GSE's Financial Aid and Admissions Office.